Thursday, April 03, 2008

On my way to work today I saw something very strange. I saw a claw vending machine. Actually, that isn't so strange. there are claw vending machines on almost every corner in korea. These are the machines that look like mini cranes that try to reach down to pick up toys. Usually the claw drops the toys. Anyway, this claw machine didn't have toys in it, it had real lobsters sitting in a tub of water. There were 3 older guys gathered around trying to get them. They already got one. It was great.

Then I got to work, and I started reading some of my students' essays. Actually, I couldn't even get past the first one. I laughed 'til i cried. Let me explain some details first. The school I work at is Avalon, The head teacher who disciplines the students is Jinny. And the essay topic was that they had to write their own ghost story. Now, here is the story (edited a bit for readability)...

World of Ghost

A European horse, and a Korean dog, and an Indian cat and a French crocodile all crash at the same place. They all die. Their souls all combine. They are made into a ghost. The ghost is crazy. It stole a knife at the Korean dog's master's house. When it finds people, it carries them to Avalon. Then the human feels horror because Avalon makes them feel horror. Finally, the humans kill themselves. One day, it carried a woman to Avalon but she didn't kill herself. It carried the woman to the top of Avalon. It said "why don't you feel horror at Avalon?" She said "I'm Jinny". The ghost was surprised and felt horror, but it said "I will hit you."
"Okay".
It advanced to Jinny, and it kicked her arm. Then Junny was angry, so Jinny kicked the ghost's face. The ghost picked up a knife and threw it at Jinny, but Jinny did the matrix. She kicked between the ghost's legs and the ghost is a boy. It ran from Jinny far away. The ghost felt horror. It wanted to die. So it tried to fall out of an apartment, but it didn't die. It was still okay. So it cut some trees and made a house and carried a female European horse, Korean dog, Indian cat, French crocodile, and crashed them at the same place. The souls combined too. It made a ghost. They loved and got 100 babies and went to kill Jinny. The got knives. They advanced to Jinny and hit Jinny. But Jinny is very strong, so they all died.

Did I mention that the students hate going to avalon, there's too much work, and they're always tired.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was a hilarious story. I would have been in tears too, except I went to Hamilton this morning with Shane to get new health cards. Following we went for breakfast at this cafe that serves crepes and waffles. Halfway through ordering our breakfast( from these two really cute girls), a woman of about 28?? cuts in and starts yelling at the one girl to get to work or something. So I yelled at the woman for being rude and told her to go somewhere else. God that felt great!! Anyways while yelling and ordering I managed to tell the girl that Shane loves fruit on his waffle(which he hates lol), and when breakfast came he spazzed out and said I ruined his breakfast and I was in tears cause he was making such a big deal about it. It reminded me of the spazzy friends clause we spoke of quite a long time ago. It's good to have spazzy friends!

It's also good to know that kids still write ridiculous whimsical nonsense, and that you are continuing to find entertainment in the time you have left in Korea.

Hopefully we'll talk soon on msn.

Anonymous said...

I think your students will need this reading series when they grow up:

http://www.grownupsreadthingstheywroteaskids.com/

Shawna